HOW CUSTOM APPLICATION SUPPORT BETTER ?
When your company has decided to improve the overall productivity and automate repetitive tasks, it is natural to think of a software product. A good software can not only improve the productivity of your employees but also give you a winning edge over your competitors. The natural question after this is whether to go with ready software already available in the market or work on creating a software that is fully customized to the needs of your company.
Let us evaluate the pros and cons of getting a custom software for your company versus implementing a product that is already available in the market.
- The software can be tailor-made to meet all your business processes, security needs and operational flow resulting in ease of operation as the team does not have to mold with product process
- The software will be robust as it will have features which match your requirement and hence no obsolete functionalities
- Complete ownership of software with no hidden costs over time
- Less effort in change management as the software will be designed keeping in mind the processes of your company
- Easy adaptability to change in processes
- It works the way you want
- You will have support from your vendor directly, unlimited customizable options
- High return on investment over time as the cost of running the software can be next to nothing over a few years
- It can easily integrate with legacy and future systems
- High Upfront costs
- Slow to deploy as it may take a few months for you to get the product
- Changes in feature may cost you in addition to the product cost
Pre-existing product implementation
- Low upfront cost
- Quick to deploy
- The software will be designed keeping in mind a mass market.
- The software maybe bloated due to the inclusion of a huge number of functionalities and may be comparatively slow and a little glitch.
- No ownership of software, you will only have the license to use the software with many hidden costs like renewal of license, per seat cost.
- More effort is needed for change management and additional training may be needed to make employees familiar with the process of the software.
- Difficult to adapt to, as the software cannot be modified but only upgraded and hence processes have to be adapted to the software’s capabilities limiting the way your business can function.
- It does not work the way you want.
- No customization or very little customization possible.
- Low return on investment as over the years the maintenance costs will increase and along with the licensing fee.
- Might now easily integrate with legacy or future systems.
March 9th, 2018